Saturday, September 17, 2011

43/52 - Spice it Up

A photograph of spices
Spice it Up

I raided the pantry cupboard for spices to come up with this shot. I found Cinnamon, Szechuan Pepper-corns, Cardamoms, Cloves, Curry leaves, Chilli Powder and Garlic. Coming up with a decent composition was not easy as all the spices had to be visible and I didn't want to shoot from above.

Lighting setup inside.

Lighting setup used for the photograph of spices, above
 Lighting Setup - Spice it Up

As far as lighting goes, this was a straight forward two light setup.

I used a Canon 430 EX II fired at 1/2 and zoomed to 24mm from camera right. The flash was fired over the spices, at a white foam-core board that was positioned on the left of the frame. The board was positioned to re-direct the light back onto the spices. I used the board so that the entire image was evenly lit.

I also used a Canon 530 EX II fired at 1/128th and zoomed to 105mm (not in setup shot) from camera right as a key light. This created the highlights on the Cinnamon and the Szechuan Pepper-corns.

No comments:

Post a Comment