Saturday, December 10, 2011

Macro Hydrangeas

A macro photograph of a Blue Hydrangea
Blue Hydrangeas

I'm pretty new to macro photography and I've got a fair bit to learn. The Hydrangeas are in bloom and  since they make good macro subjects, I took the opportunity to practice a little. The hardest part of taking these photographs was the lighting.

More photographs inside.
A macro photograph of a Pink Hydrangea
 Pink Hydrangeas

In order to achieve a greater depth of field, relatively small apertures are used in macro photography. The photographs on this post were shot at around the f14 mark. Because of the small apertures, artificial lighting and a tripod are pretty much essential.

A macro photograph of a Blue Hydrangea
Blue Hydrangeas

I used a Canon 430 EX II to light these images. The flash was handheld and triggered via the 7D's flash trigger system. I think I fired the flash at around 1/8th power. I'm still not too happy with the dark areas on the image and I will probably look at using a second flash to light up those spaces. However, I do think the shadows give the photograph a bit more depth and I'd have to figure out how preserve them.

A macro photograph of a Pink Hydrangea
Pink Hydrangeas

I used the Canon 100mm macro lens and the 7D for these photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment